Helpful Questions & Answers
Sunless Tanning FAQs
How do sunless/self-tanners work?
How long will my sunless tan last?
Why is keeping skin moisturized essential to maintain great sunless results?
Will the bronzers from a spray tanning application rub-off on my clothes?
Will I turn 'Orange'?
- Do not use bar soaps before your sunless session. A properly pH balanced skin cleanser will not elevate pH levels on the skin, and result in more ‘golden brown’ sunless tanning results.
- Norvell® recommends spraying the body with Pre Sunless xLaTan pH Balancing Spray prior to any sunless application. This product is formulated to lower the pH levels of the skin giving a more golden brown color, and maximizing your sunless results.
- Do not over-apply sunless products. In general, the darker your natural skin tone, the higher concentration of DHA (sunless product) you can apply to the skin and still maintain ‘natural’ color. Generally, those will fair/light skin tones should apply less DHA (sunless product) to the skin to ensure natural looking results. Be sure to not only evaluate how much product you apply to the skin, but what the concentration level of DHA in each product is. Sunless products that are designed to give a darker color may not be desirable for fair skin.
What is Norvell® Sunless Tanning Solution?
- Clear – No cosmetic bronzers, perfect for light to medium skin tones.
- Original and Organic Original – Light cosmetic bronzers, perfect for light to medium skin tones .
- Cocoa – light to medium cosmetic bronzers, perfect for light to medium skin.
- Dark and Organic Dark – Medium cosmetic bronzers, perfect for any skin tone light to dark.
- Venetian™ – Dark Violet bronzers, perfect for anyone that wants that Mediterranean look.
- Double Dark – Dark cosmetic bronzers, perfect or medium to dark skin tones.
The following specialty formulas are also available by Norvell®:
- ONE™ One-Hour Rapid Formula – Rapid development formula with Medium to Dark cosmetic bronzers, for use on light to dark skin tones. Lightest skin tones warm water rinse within 1 hour, Medium skin tones warm water rinse within 2 hours, and Darkest skin tones warm water rinse within 3 hours.
- Black Out™ Competition Formula – Dark cosmetic bronzers, developed for the darkest of skin tones and for stage use
If you are interested in trying any of the above formulas we recommend contacting us to confirm shade availability as these vary from season to season. If showering prior to the 16-hour post application recommendation, a simple rinse with water only, is best. Soap destroys DHA. Delayed bathing allows the DHA bronzer sufficient time to complete its reaction with the amino acids (proteins) within the skin. NOTE: It is important to educate your customer regarding instant/cosmetic bronzers. The cosmetic bronzer is the color that is immediately visible during the session and it will wash off during the first shower, revealing the DHA bronze tan beneath. An uneducated client may think their tan is washing down the drain.
What is DHA (Dihydroxyacetone)?
How does a spray tan work?
How do I prepare for a Spray Tan session?
- boosts amino acid levels, which work directly with DHA, to maximize sunless color results,
- balances the pH on skin to reduce any ‘orange’ coloring and produce golden brown results, and
hydrates skin for even and maximum absorption of sunless solution. For more information about XL-a-Tan, check out our insider tips.
What should I wear for a Spray Tan session?
How dark will my tan appear after one application?
How long does a spray tan take to dry?
Should I allow the skin to rest between spray sessions?
Is Spray Tan Solution safe to use?
Will sunless solution stain my hair?
How can I prevent patchy or uneven wear-off?
- Be sure to gently polish the skin before each sunless session
- Keep skin hydrated on the inside and out. Using a product such as Norvell Daily Replenishing 24 hours moisturizer or a daily application of Norvell Color extender Pro-Long Moisturizer will extend the look of your tan. This bronzing booster will also reduce the appearance of uneven wear and patchiness.
- It is also recommended that individuals not tan more than 3 times in a 2 week period, to avoid build-up of tanning solution that will contribute to uneven wear-off. For frequent sunless tanning clients, we recommend using Norvell Intensive Detoxifying Salt Scrub 1 to 2 times per month, to remove sunless tanning build-up. Be sure to wait at least 24 hours after Salt Scrub application before applying any sunless product, and do not shave immediately prior to using Salt Scrub. For more in-depth tips about how to best exfoliate to maximize your sunless results, check out our insider tips.
Will a spray tan ruin light clothing such as a wedding dress?
What else can I do to extend and beautify my new tan?
How soon will I see the tanning result?
How long will my spray tan last?
Will swimming affect my spray tan?
How long should I wait after a tanning session before showering, swimming or exercising?
Should I shave or wax before or after I get my spray tan?
UV Tanning FAQs
How Much Does This Cost?
How Many Tanning Sessions Do You Recommend?
Why is it important to develop a base tan?
Are Protective Eye Goggles Necessary?
Do I really need to use a indoor tanning lotion while I tan?
Is Indoor Tanning Better Than Tanning Outdoors?
Do I really need to use a indoor tanning lotion while I tan?
How Are Your Beds Cleaned and Maintained?
Can I Shower After Tanning?
Why Does my Tan Fade?
What causes white spots?
- Prominent white patches of skin on the shoulder blades and just above the buttocks can be caused by pressure from the body as it reclines on a hard tanning bed – inhibiting blood flow through the skin on that area. Since blood carries oxygen, an essential part of the tanning process, this area does not tan. Periodically shifting your body during tanning will make these patches disappear.
- Certain medications can react unfavorably to UV light exposure. For example, birth control pills can cause blotches and uneven pigmentation of the skin.
- White spots could also appear due to the presence of a fungus living on the skin’s surface. In this case, the harmless fungus absorbs the UV light that would normally penetrate the skin, causing a white spot. This fungus did not appear as a result of tanning – it simply becomes noticeable once tanning occurs. It can be remedied though the use of prescription drugs or a topical lotion – please consult a physician if you are concerned.
I Thought Vitamin D Only Came From Natural Sunlight?
What is the difference between UVA and UVB Rays?
Common Skin Conditions & Medical Concerns
Can pregnant women be safely sprayed?
- Paraben Free
- Gluten Free
- Sulfate Free
- Nut-Allergen Free
- Propylene Glycol Free
- Phthalates Free
- Synthetic Fragrance Free
With all of the above being said, we do NOT staff licensed physicians, therefore as you would before using ANY product on an expectant mother, we recommend each customer consult with their personal physician before receiving a DHA sunless spray tan application.
My skin never tans! Will a spray tan work on my skin?
Will a spray tan cause freckles in people who usually freckle when tanning?
I have very sensitive skin, should I be concerned with a possible reaction to the solutions?
I have Vitiligo, will the solution cause a change in the affected areas?
Is a DHA spray tan safe for a diabetic person?
Does a spray tan provide SPF protection?
SIGN UP FOR OUR NEWSLETTER!
Get the latest in product innovations, special deals, events, coupons and more!
930 Upper Paradise Road
© 2018 Paradise Tan
Website Design by Taylormade Ideas Hamilton